Thursday, June 11, 2009

Jordan is a leader. This we've known for quite some time. The PROBLEM with this isn't the fact that she doesn't easily pick up bad habits at school/Sunday school. Its not that she often is bossy to other children (well, this could be a problem in the future, but so far she is still polite while being bossy.) The PROBLEM is that she is trying to be the leader of our Family. I really really like how my friend Liz explains the "order" of things to her daughter: "You are sometimes the boss of your sister, you are sometimes the boss of daddy, but Mommy is ALWAYS the boss of the WHOLE WORLD."

Tonight, Jordan tried to assert her "power" on Dave and I at dinner. Before I start let me say this: I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW that the dr's say "Don't let mealtimes be a battle." I KNOW that if she's really hungry she'll eat, and I know that she is definately not wasting away.

Jordan was hungry. Hungry enough to ask for a snack at least a million times while I was fixing supper. I made Hamburger Helper, which is definately a winner with her, she usually LOVES it. Then the neighbor came to the door, and Jordan decided she wasn't hungry she wanted to play. Nope, sorry, we will play after dinner.



Things calm down about 2 minutes later and when we sit at the table, Jordan takes 2 bites and says "I'm going to play with Connor now." She knows she has to finish dinner. We remind her of this probably 5 times before making threats.

Me: Jordan, if you can't stay in your chair and finish your dinner, you will have to get strapped into Carter's chair.

Jordan: Okay! I will like that!

Me: If I have to put you into Carter's chair, you're going to get a spanking.

Jordan: Okay, a spanking then I get into Carter's chair.

Dave: NO! You don't get a spanking and you can't sit in Carter's chair. Eat your dinner or go to bed.

Jordan: No, I'll go outside and play with Carter instead.

Dave: After you eat all of your dinner.

Jordan: No thank you.


Dave: Jordan, you sit here and eat your dinner or we are going to have to get rid of your brand new kitchen set. You don't want that do you?

Jordan: Oh no! I'll eat.

<4>

Dave: Okay, that's it! Kitchen set is leaving.


Jordan: DADDY! DADDY! DADDY!

Me: (thinking: oh thank Goodness, it worked she's going to eat!)

Jordan: Don't forget this! (extends her hand to reveal a piece of the kitchen set he forgot.)

Anyways, she did eat eventually, but it wasn't easy and it wasn't fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment