Monday, February 21, 2011

What we do when a Kid is sick:

  • Color....we do LOTS and LOTS of coloring
  • Watch movies (to the point where I feel like surely this is crap parenting...)
  • Play games, More specifically play "Don't Break the Ice" 100 times a day, and "Uno Moo" 86 times after that.
  • Read every book we have (we have too many books, if that's even possible, and somehow still "need" more. I am a book hoarder I think)
  • Cook
  • Eat (ugh)
  • Snuggle :-)
And when the fever FINALLY breaks, we.....SHOP! For groceries, but then for fun stuff!

Today we went to "Educate and Celebrate" and spent at least an hour there. The kids LOOOOOVE it, because they have the train table out and a little girly table out with tiny velvet mice and furniture, etc. The kids played for probably 30 minutes while I perused and drooled over the FANTASTIC Melissa and Doug educational toys, as well as the learning workbooks and classroom materials. I think that next year, when Carter is 3 and Jordan 5, I'm going to make our downstairs more like a pre-school. They'll both be home more often than not, and both at a good age to learn things together! We already have the chalkboard (ahem, the chalkboard WALL), the gigantic pocket calendar, table and chairs, and a good bit of learning aids. As well as the 2 K4 curriculum workbook sets I bought last year (on clearance, bought 2 just in case and now I'm soooo glad I did!)

Anyway, the kids played for 30 minutes while I fantasized about our livingroom/preschool. Then I told them they could each pick a toy or game or puzzle or whatever they wanted. Jordan carried a box to me that looked like a cute little learning wooden toy, $61.00...ummm...no, how about a $20 limit? So she picked a cute wooden spelling game (that's the best way I can think to describe it). And Carter? Well he chose, out of the WHOLE STORE FULL OF STUFF, a 3 foot long pointer with a hand on the end of it. "Whew!" I thought when I saw the $3.00 price tag! So we checked out and got in the car and THAT'S when I realized the pointer was the WORST thing in the store to have bought. Guess who got poked repeatedly in the car? Everyone except Carter that's who! When I reached back and swatted his legs, he started tapping the window. When Jordan asked him to be quiet, he started pulling at her hair with it. Fun. But he loves it, so we'll just have to **try** to set some ground rules with it!

I also bought Jordan 4 new easy reader books and got the kids a really cool devotional book for kids ages 2-5! I love that.

Alright, off to clean my house! Nothing to exciting here. (Oh! except the forest fire on Saturday, but I don't have time to write about that, so maybe tomorrow.)

2 comments:

  1. TOO. Nothing TOO exciting. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought the girls a "365 bedtime devotional book for girls" THEY LOVE IT!! It's a veggie tales book that I got from the Christian bookstore, they never let me forget to do it at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete