Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Whining (um me, not Jordan)

Let me paint you a picture:
Doctor's waiting room, 3:15pm on a Tuesday. 1 free chair, and me with a toddler, an infant (who looks like a toddler) in his carrier and a diaper bag the size of Texas. Other toddler running around the room is CLEARLY there because he has ringworm on his face. Little boy who looks to be about 5 has croup.bad. Boy beside us' mother says "Just don't let him breathe on your kids." Little girl coloring has run to the bathroom with her mother at least 3 times in the first 20 minutes that we're there. Jordan ran up and hugged ringworm boy. Jordan remained on my lap the entire wait after this.

Carter has a new ear infection, on top of the one that he still has from last week. This managed to happen while he has been on antibiotics (not Ammoxicillan, he was on that a couple weeks prior for something else). SO, he needed a shot of antibiotics. Doctor checks his lungs, and checks and checks and checks for a long time (in my experience with Carter, the longer she checks, the worse it is). He's wheezing pretty good she says. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH. I was realy really hoping that we'd be ready to wean him off of his inhalers, or at least one of them, but NOPE. We have to up the inhalers. Then the basement renovations come up in conversation and she says that very well could be a trigger causing his lungs to get inflamed. Drywall Dust. GREAT. GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT. So, per the dr's suggestion we have vacated the house and will remain out for a week. If he gets better, than we know that is more than likely causing the problem. For now though, we're assuming its some mild Asthma caused by scarring on his lungs from the RSV. (He is such a trooper...)

Okay, onto the shot. Before the shot the nurse came in to "talk" to me because she wanted me to really understand that this is a very painful shot (as opposed to the ones that feel good???) and he would scream for probably at least a solid 1/2 hour afterwards but that's normal. She gave him the shot - he screamed - then he stopped. She looked at me and said "I can't even imagine the pain this little guy must be in from his ears. I have NEVER had a baby not cry after the shot." GREAT. GREAT GREAT GREAT. My poor child who HAS been screaming bloody murder several times a day for the last week, was in a substantial amount of pain, and THAT'S NOT EVEN WHY I BROUGHT HIM TO THE DOCTOR. (There went Mommy of the year. AGAIN.) During all of this, Jordan is talking and talking and talking and talking. And DEMANDING that Carter is NOT getting a shot because "I said No! I telled you NO SHOTS TODAY!" So, I'm trying to listen to the dr/nurse over my 2 year old, and prepare her because if he's going to scream for 3o minutes than you'd better believe she will too. Chair flips over, Jordan screams, I flip out (because its only about the millionth time in 20 minutes I've told her that we don't stnad on chairs). We had to stick around the first floor of the dr's building for 1/2 hour to make sure there's no reaction to the Shot, and Thank God there wasn't.

That's all, that was my afternoon yesterday. re-reading it, I may have just been way too hi-strung yesterday and that's why it effected me the way it did...so here I sit, pale and not at home :-(

2 comments:

  1. have you tried taking Carter to a chiropractor? Neither Asher nor Hannah have had to have antibiotics for ear infections b/c we took them to a chiropractor... much less $$$ too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that shot once, it was a while ago. I don't remember it being as bad as they said it was, but then again I'm an adult. The only positive is that its a one time deal and should hopefully help him get better.

    ReplyDelete