Thursday, March 3, 2011

Being Home.

I love staying home with my Children. Even on the mornings that I think I'd like to get us all dressed and drop them off somewhere and go spend time with adults, I still remember that I love staying home. Sometimes I think I'd be a nicer Mommy if I went to work every-day, but I doubt it. I think I'd be a more stressed Mommy. Kudos to you all who do it, whether out of want or need. I don't know how you manage. Sometimes I need a reminder as to why we've chosen for me to stay home, and today is definitely one of those days. I love my kids, and I know they'd be all that I'd think about if I had to leave them everyday. As much as I think that the financial benefit of my working would be great enough to justify it, I know that if I were in an office today I'd be sitting thinking of how we could pinch pennies so that I could stay home with the kids. Its not even a matter of "the grass is always greener" thinking. I know that I'm totally blessed to be able to stay home. Its not a burden or something I dis-like. But SOMETIMES, just sometimes, I would like to be the secondary grown-up. The one who sleeps without waking up with the sleepless kid(s). The one who leaves the house for 12-14 hours knowing that their children are being loved and cared for by the other parent. The one who doesn't feel the pressure of picking the right preschool, or doctor's office, or dance class. The one who plays when its time to play, and disciplines when its time to discipline, but doesn't have to think long-term or reinforce things 100000 times a day.

But I know that if I were that other parent, I'd wish to sometimes be the parent who gets to stay in bed until the kids get up, the one who doesn't have to go spend my day with strangers and dis-satisfied customers rather than the people that I love. The one who gets to love on and play with the kids for 12 solid hours each day, the one who chooses and gets to know the teachers and coaches who also love our children. I'd want to be the one who hears the answers straight from the dr's mouth when the kids are sick, rather than a relayed message. I'd want to be the one teaching and reinforcing our kids daily.

I love being home with my children, but sometimes on days like today, I have to rationalize it and gain some perspective about it...which is what i just did (in writing this time). Just thought I'd share....

1 comment: